photo courtesy of peoplestylewatch.com
Wow, check out the gorgeous Juilane Hough at the CFDA Fashion awards 2012. She looks simply stunning in her red Kaufmanfranco gown and her sexy yet soft hair. If you are one of my regular clients, you probably know I'm all about soft, sexy, tousled updos. I love updos that look like they have been softly swept up. Yet, it may of taken the stylist over an hour to create.
Today's picture of week I want to break down how to get this soft sexy texture. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to achieve, and I'm going to help you learn how.
Key to this look is the texture of the hair. First start by using a root lifter directly at the roots and mousse for tons of lift. Blow dry your hair the opposite direction you want it to fall for maxim lift.
- After your hair is fully dry, start by taking 1-1/2inch sections, starting from the hair at the nape of your neck to the top of your head.
- Make sure you spray a medium hold hair spray before you curl each section.
- Take a 1 1/4 inch barrel curling iron, and take 1-2 inch sections and curl your hair horizontal from your section. (Note-Its very important to start by clamping at the root first and work the ends through the tong of you iron last, this will create maxium volume.)
- Release hair out of the iron, and bobbi pin at the scalp and wait to let it cool. You are "setting" your hair when doing this.
- Work up your sections up until you get to the top above your ears. Now you want to curl the hair above the ears going away from the face. (Meaning, you curl away from your face, not towards your face)
- Once your hair is curled and pinned, allow time for your hair to cool down. Approximately 3-5 minute.
- Hair spray with a medium hold spray and release sections.
- Lightly run your fingers through your hair going away from your face.
- If you hair is fine textured, you may want to add a little backcombing to your hair. If its thick, and holds well, skip this step.
- Pull hair back into a low pony tail and secure with an elastic.
- Then create a bun by twisting hair slightly and wrap around pony and secure with bobby pins.
- Finish off with a lite hair spray and spray shine.
I swear, its that easy! If you have a picture of a style you are wanting to know, I'd love to help you. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org